Monday, February 28, 2022

New VFPX Project: Object Explorer

As you may know, Matt Slay passed away in 2021. He was a great contributor to the Fox community and VFPX and is greatly missed.

The last tool created by Matt and his friend and frequent collaborator Jim Nelson is Object Explorer, which provides an explorer form to view members of the specified object. Jim has kindly agreed to include this tool in VFPX, so it's available there now.


Object Explorer is a very useful tool for debugging applications, including at runtime. I've just implemented it in my applications so time will tell how often I use it, but Jim and Matt used it a lot, and Tore Bleken allows certain end-users to use it to customize applications.

I made a few tweaks to the original code to fix some minor issues I ran into; see the "2022-02-28" release notes for details. I also created my own copy of Explorer.scx named SFObjExplorer.scx, with Desktop = .T. and this code in Init so it uses Segoe UI rather than the default Arial:

Lparameters toObject, tcObjectName, tcFormCaptionSuffix

dodefault(toObject, tcObjectName, tcFormCaptionSuffix)

This.SetAll('FontName', 'Segoe UI')

This.TreeContainer.oleTree.Font.Name = 'Segoe UI'


No comments: