Friday, January 16, 2009

Playing with Windows 7

I've been playing with Windows 7 for about a week now. Like Andrew MacNeill, I installed it on a Virtual PC and also like Andrew, I got a BSOD when I tried to install Virtual Machine Additions (and in fact had to restore Windows 7 to a previous restore point to get it to work again). Fortunately, I remembered GIYF ("Google is your friend") and quickly found that Virtual PC SP1 was needed for Windows 7. After upgrading to SP1, I had no problems installing Virtual Machine Additions (which VPC can be a PITA to deal with if you don't).

I have a few other glitches right now, but they are all "Windows 7 on VPC" issues rather than Windows 7 issues:

  • No Aero Glass or related features (like the new Aero Peek). Come to think of it, I don't get Aero Glass when running Vista in a VPC either.
  • No sound.
  • Dragging a file from my main system to the VPC window gives an error. Copying a file from a shared folder on my main system to the VPC also has problems.

There are lots of cool things about Windows 7; Tim Sneath has blogged about some of them. The new taskbar and the concept of libraries will likely take some getting used to, but so far it feels like Vista with more fit-and-finish things taken care of.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,

Did you try FoxCharts or GdiPlusX under Windows 7 ?
I've just received a message from a user telling me that the FoxCHarts' canvas is not showing anything under Win7. RUnning under the other OS's was ok.

Did you have any experience regarding this ?
TIA
Cesar

Doug Hennig said...

Hi Cesar.

It looks like the same issue I ran into yesterday: Image.PictureVal in VFP 9 SP1 doesn't work in Windows 7. Fortunately, it does work with SP2.

Doug

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Doug, It works !

I'd like to add some verifications in the FoxCharts class in order to avoid such problems on Win7

Can you tell me the values that VFP returns for the function OS() and OS(3) ?

Thanks in advance !

Doug Hennig said...

OS() = "Windows 6.01"
OS(3) = 6 (same as Vista)
OS(4) = 1 (Vista = 0)

Alan Bourke said...

You don't get Aero Glass because the crappy virtualised graphics card in VPC doesn't have enough memory and only supports 24-bit colour.

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,

i try FoxCharts 1.20 under Windows XP and Windows Vista and works fine. When i try FoxCharts 1.20 in Windows 7, when i'm developing the project, i can see perfectly the graphics, but when i build the project into an Win32 executable the FoxCharts' canvas is not showing anything (but if i run the same executable in XP or Vista i
can see perfectly the graphics)
Did you ever had this problem?

(I'm using VFP 9 SP2)


Pedro

Doug Hennig said...

Hi Pedro.

No, I haven't tested FoxCharts or GDIPlusX under Windows 7 yet. Perhaps post a message on VFPX and someone can look into it for you.

Doug