Monday, September 10, 2007

I do my Little Turn on the Catwalk

Although I'm definitely not too sexy for my shirt, on Friday night I modelled in a fashion show. It was a fund raiser for Sofia House, a second stage shelter for women and children escaping domestic violence. The theme was Pirates of the Caribbean, which explains the large skull and crossbones logo at the back of the stage and the Johnny Depp makeup around my eyes (which fortunately you can't see in this photo).



I was in four relatively simple sets (some of others were pretty complicated) showing casual, business casual, and business outfits from local shops. Many of the models were fairly experienced, but fortunately there were several newbies like me, and we had several practices in the weeks before the show. We also had copious amounts of alcohol back stage to settle any nerves. It was actually a lot of fun; I'd definitely do it again. Although I'd like to think the 450 women in attendance were hooting for me, it was more likely for the firefighter calendar boys who had their own set.

Although the final figures aren't in (hmm, I'm sure I could come up with a pun on that), the fashion show likely raised about $15,000 for Sophia House. Since the organization gets no government funding, everything they make comes from private donations, organizations like the United Way, and fund-raising efforts from the dedicated board, making this a very worthy cause.

No comments: